Recycling & Refurbishing
ReUse is the New Recycling
The fast pace of computer innovation has provided today’s technology users with more powerful systems at lower prices. This leaves many of us with a dilemma. Every time we upgrade one of our computers to gain more speed, more storage or more bells and whistles, we're left with an older computer that no longer meets our needs.
For most of us, the easiest thing to do is to put the old computer system in a closet, storage or some other out-of-sight, out-of-mind location. The worst choice you can make is to put the computer (or any electronic equipment) in the trash. Landfills are no place for the harmful chemicals, including lead, cadmium, beryllium and mercury, found in virtually all digital equipment. With many other solutions available, there's no reason to simply throw an old computer away. There is, however, a better solution that is both socially and environmentally responsible.
C2SDK’s comprehensive program
of recycle, refurbish, and respond provides an ideal solution for this issue. C2SDK is committed to providing our donors with a free, green alternative for their technology, saving them the financial responsibility of storing or disposing of their eWaste.
Additionally, donors get the added value of providing needed technology and its resources that has been traditionally denied to low-income families through C2SDK’s Technology Assistance Program.
C2SDK receives your technology donation and refurbishes the computer systems (with a strong emphasis on data security) to place in the homes of low income families.
100% of your donation will be tax deductible!
- Thoroughly deleting confidential data is essential to all of our donors. For businesses looking for ways to comply with the security requirements of legislation like the Sarbanes-Oxley Act and The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996, a sound policy on data control and destruction is crucial a legal necessity. C2SDK completely eradicates all user data from computer hard drives using one of two methods:
- Secure Erase Utility “HHDerase” or
- Darik’s Boot and Nuke (DBAN) software
- Each system is then thoroughly cleaned, defective hardware is replaced, and each system is then loaded with Microsoft Windows operating system, Microsoft Office productivity software, and various educational programs that focus on math and logic, language arts, science, social studies, art and music, computer programming, using technology, and life skills are loaded.
- These computers are then placed into the homes of underprivileged families throughout San Diego, increasing their educational opportunities to be competitive in the job market upon graduation.